Check out the Greater Christchurch area we’re talking about [PDF, 234 KB].
When we talk about Greater Christchurch, we mean Christchurch city and nearby areas within the Selwyn and Waimakariri districts, from Rolleston to Rangiora.
- We’re home to 10% of New Zealand’s population and the second biggest urban centre in New Zealand by population.
- The population has grown 15.1% since 2006 – only Auckland has grown more quickly.
- By 2048, Greater Christchurch is expected to grow to about 640,000, some 150,000 more people than today.
- Our people are generally older than other major urban centres in New Zealand. In 2018, the median age of residents here was 38.5 years. In Auckland it was 36 years, and 35 years for Greater Wellington.
- We are becoming more diverse. More than 20% of the population was born overseas and that number is growing. A quarter of the population now identifies as non-European. Non-European communities are, on average, younger than European.