Our Space 2018-48:
- Identifies preferred locations for housing growth, encouraging central city and suburban centre living while providing for township growth in other centres, especially Rolleston, Rangiora and Kaiapoi.
- Outlines the housing trends that are expected to influence demand, with more people renting and fewer people in each household, linked to affordability issues and an aging population.
- Identifies the role planning can play in encouraging smaller, more affordable homes and in increasing the supply of attractive mid-priced townhouses and apartments in the central city, around key centres and along core transport corridors.
- Commits councils to working with housing providers to increase the supply of social and affordable housing across Greater Christchurch.
- Reinforces the role of key centres, especially the central city, in providing additional retail and office floor space, and the wider local services and facilities that people need near to where they live to encourage active (walking/cycling) and public transport.